Oral medicine is a specialty of
dentistry that is concerned with oral health care of all individuals and with diagnosis,
non surgical management of all disorders affecting the oral and maxillofacial region. The
specialty also extends its scope in maintaining oral health care of medically compromised
patients (patients receiving treatment for diabetes,
cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases & malignancies) and treating medically related
disorders affecting oral and maxillofacial region.
The department spans over a wide area with separate Oral Medicine and Radiology departments.
The clinical area includes dental chairs and is equipped with all sophisticated instruments necessary for diagnosis and treatment of oral and maxillofacial lesions. Radiology of head and neck is also included in this specialty. This branch deals with study of radiation, its use in imaging of head and neck and interpretation, which aids in perfect diagnosis. The radiology department is equipped with conventional intra oral radiographic units, digital radiovisiographic equipment and a CBCT machine with high FOV along with panoramic and cephalometric unit, full body X ray unit with digital printer. The under graduate students are exposed to wide range of patients with dental and maxillofacial problems, and all students get extensive clinical and radiographic experience in diagnosis and management of the same.
Services & treatments provided in
1. Diagnosis and management of oro facial pain.
2. Diagnosis and management of temporomandibular disorders.
3. Diagnosis and management of oral mucosal lesions like lichen planus, oral submucous fibrosis, leukoplakia.. Etc
4. Diagnosis and management of potentially malignant and malignant disorders.
5. Identification, diagnosis and management of oral lesions related to various systemic disorders.
6. Radiographic evaluation of various head & neck pathologies and trauma.
7. Performing various investigative procedures like biopsy, chair side investigations, digital radiographic procedures for identification and management of various head and neck pathologies.
8. Radiographic evaluation of diseases through inta oral radiographs , extra oral radiographs , panaromic radiographs , tmj views
9. Advanced imaging techniques which include cone beam computed tomography.
ACTIVITIES FOR UG STUDENTS
• Diagnosis and treatment planning of oral diseases.
• Radiographic evaluation of oral diseases.
• Interpretation of intra oral radiographs, extra oral radiographs, panaromic radiographs.
• Advanced imaging like cone beam computed tomography.
• Students are trained to use the CBCT software and tools in virtual placement.
• Seminar presentations by the students.
• Full mouth radiographs
• To be proficient in the history taking, clinical examination, interpretation of laboratory and radiographic examination for diagnosing orofacial and systemic disorders
ACTIVITIES FOR PG STUDENTS
• Applied basic sciences, research methodology, study designs and biostatistics and conduct research of clinical relevance.
• Full mouth radiographs.
• Seminar presentations.
• Journal presentations.
• history taking, clinical examination, interpretation of laboratory, radiographic examination for diagnosing orofacial and systemic disorders.
• Diagnosing and treatment planning of oral diseases
• Treatment for TMJ pains.